Wednesday 9 September 2015

The Road to York

This post comes to you direct from the interior of York Minster, accompanied by the beautiful sound of the pipe organ playing for the morning service.  Spoilers - I made it to York!

Yesterday was a reasonably relaxed and lovely day. I set out from Doncaster at the relatively late hour of nine o' clock and the whole journey to York was a reasonably flat one. It was also cold and drizzly and very rural, so although I took a stretches-and-harmonica break at the side of the A19 after twelve miles, it wasn't until I reached Selby at the 22 mile mark that I managed to find a hot drink and a bathroom. It was still quite cold and I was in no rush, so I put a tuna baguette in my face for good measure before striking out on the final fifteen miles.

I didn't even look at my directions after leaving Selby. I found myself on the Trans-Pennine trail with York clearly signposted, so I just followed the signs for another hour, and then came into the city along the River Ouse. (Pronounced River Ooze, haha, that tickles me for some reason.)

I arrived with half an hour to spare before I could check in at my hostel, so I treated myself to a nice hot cuppa at the cycle cafe near Micklegate Bar, and spent the rest of the day chilling out and planning my activities for the next three days in York. After that, on Saturday, I have one last day of cycling to do as I head out to the east coast to see Moira - another fifty miles. I'll update again when I get there to let you know how that went!

YORK YORK YORK >:D

No comments:

Post a Comment